As a slight aside: I knew about the 'bc' (bench calculator) program in
Linux/Unix, and I also knew there was a 'dc' (desk calculator) in Linux/Unix

What I didn't realise, and have only just learned, is:

* dc is the original and runs RPN
* dc predates the C programming language; it is the oldest surviving Unix
program, and Ken Thompson has opined that it was the first one written (in
B) for the PDP-ll running Unix
* the BC program is written on top of dc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dc_(computer_program)