On 20 Dec 2000, Danny Backx yowled:
> nix wrote :
>> It is a requirement for automake-generated Makefiles; in later (as
>> yet unreleased) automakes it is only a requirement if automatic
>> dependency tracking is turned on.
>
> I stand by my experience that the automake and autoconf versions which
> we've been using for over a year now don't rely on gmake, unless you
> use automake -i (which is the dependency tracking that you refer to).

True; I am behind the times. The `future version' is apparently
automake-1.4, which is already released and has been for a good while ;)

Good; automake is better than I thought it was :)

> Are you saying it is 'accidental' that it worked up to now ?

Sort of. There was only one place that the GNU make-specific := couldn't
be removed from ;) (the initialization of DEPS_MAGIC). Two tests in
the testsuite (colneq.test and colneq2.test) also use := and hence
require GNU make.

(I hear that recent BSD makes can handle := too, in which case they
should work with automatic dependency tracking as well.)

--
Not speaking for Boskone at the moment.