On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:24:42 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>An include/Makefile.am containing this:
>
>if Version_2_1
>M21SUBDIRS = Motif-2.1
>endif
>if Version_2_0
>M20SUBDIRS = Motif-2.0
>endif
>SUBDIRS = Motif-1.2 $(M20SUBDIRS) $(M21SUBDIRS)
>
>Produces this in Makefile.in w/ automake-1.4:
>
>@Version_2_1_TRUE@M21SUBDIRS = Motif-2.1
>@Version_2_0_TRUE@M20SUBDIRS = Motif-2.0
>SUBDIRS = Motif-1.2 $(M20SUBDIRS) $(M21SUBDIRS)
>
>With the latest cvs-automake beta version this is generated:
>@Version_2_1_TRUE@M21SUBDIRS = @[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>@Version_2_0_TRUE@M20SUBDIRS = @[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>SUBDIRS = Motif-1.2 $(M20SUBDIRS) $(M21SUBDIRS)

You see that the 1.4 version misses to define the variable in the
false cases leading to "unkown variable" or things like that errors.

>I don't get any warning nor error when running CVSMake or automake
>manually. I also don't see why this should not work on any OS.

Meanwhile I got some confirmation from the automake maintainers
that there is a known problem. Since we can't swtich to a non-standard
version of any auto* tool _easily_ we will have to use workarounds like
the mentioned one ...

---
Alexander Mai
[EMAIL PROTECTED]