I too did a lot of distro-hopping over the years and have used the distro's
endorsed by the FSF on the GNU website. I found most of them lagging well
behind the curve, but still good distro's in their own right.  Despite the
availability of the many distros, I still highly recommend going through the
process of building a full LFS system. The experience, while it will try every
bit of your patience, will be very rewarding in the long run. Like many users,
I wanted (and still wouldn't mind having done) my own full distro with all the
package selections and package management included. To be honest, I'm not that
good... But it doesn't reduce the desire.

LFS has gotten me well on my way, despite my shortcomings.

While LFS is a complex problem, it isn't all that complex in the long run.
Managing your own published distro would be more complex.

I have found that even the most robust distributions can be installed in very
compact ways.  Debian, for example, has the debootstrap method which installs a
mere skeleton of the distribution which can then be added to according to your
own choices. There is also the "standard" installation (console mode), as well
as light-weight and heavier weight desktops. So, as always the choices remain
yours. This is the freedom Linux offers.

As far as GNU/Linux, I see that simply as a pairing of the Linux Kernel and the
GNU Utilities. Most distro's comply with all the licensing requirements under
both GNU and Linux and could therefore be called a "GNU/Linux" Distro, but to
directly name it GNU would bring you into conflict with the FSF.

I wish you the best of luck.

Daniel (LFS user)