On 7/14/2016 6:24 AM, Daniel Bernhardt wrote:

While LFS is a complex problem, it isn't all that complex in the
long run. [snip]

But it was tedious[poor word] enough to keep me from doing it. Just reading its references was worthwhile in itself.

I have found that even the most robust distributions can be
installed in very compact ways.  Debian, for example, has the
debootstrap method which installs a mere skeleton of the
distribution which can then be added to according to your own
choices.

Any recommended tutorials for a computer _user_ since the 60's, but new to Linux?

 There is also the "standard" installation (console
mode), as well as light-weight and heavier weight desktops. So,
as always the choices remain yours. This is the freedom Linux offers.

AGREED.