>On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 09:30:32 -0500
>Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

> I've just begun reading - primarily Wikipedia articles and some links
> from them.  My primary question is "What should I be reading?" in
> order to ask appropriate questions. Specifically "What?" and "Why?"
> much more than "Howto?".

The primary difference between Bluetooth and WiFi is on the L2 level
(OSI network model). Bluetooth uses the L2 of USB, WiFi uses the L2 of
Ethernet. As such, WiFi is a proper network interface, while Bluetooth
is an interface for attaching computer peripherals. I *think* they both
use the same L1 protocol (don't quote me) (this means Bluetooth and
WiFi have the exact same range, assuming the same transmitter power).

The main challenge that I see in your setup is connecting the network
to the outside world. If you use WiFi internally, you basically need
one machine that has either two WiFi interfaces or a WiFi and Ethernet.
One WiFi is for the internal network, the other interface (WiFi or
Ethernet) is for the outside (connected to the home router). More
complicated setups are possible, but require the home router to support
them. Using Bluetooth for this setup is not a serious problem because
at least one machine on the network is supposed to have a WiFi that can
connect to the home router.

Reading questions that may help:
How to connect two hosts using Bluetooth that does not require them to
be in a master-slave relationship?
How to connect one WiFi interface to multiple networks? (If you find
out, please post the answer here. xD )
Encryption on Bluetooth?
How to route L3 traffic (IP network) over Bluetooth? (This question
assumes you *want* to spread an Intranet over your machines.)
What application-level interfaces will you use to actually *use* the
network? (FTP? Web? 9P2000? NFS? Gopher? gRPC? Whatever Bluetooth uses?)

--
Svi moji e-mailovi su kriptografski potpisani. Proverite ih.
All of my e-mails are cryptographically signed. Verify them.