On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 19:32 -0500, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Also, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, talking with Ryan set me on
> a little bit of a purity path. One thing he suggested, however, which
> I'm finding hard to put faith in at this point. He mentioned the purity
> of the build is shown, in part, by being able to build on old and broken
> hosts, ie, RH 6.2. I can see his point, in that it shows we've broken
> from that environment and have built ourselves a robust and sane
> toolchain. However, current LFS has requirements far above RH 6.2, such
> as a host with a 2.6 kernel because of the step up to NPTL.

We require 2.6 for current lfs to build nptl (though not if the initial
toolchain is replaced with a cross-lfs style setup).

So, build a 2.6 kernel and install module-init-tools :P

And yes, there are needed package upgrades that need to be done on the
host from old systems, such as (OTOH) make and sed...

For a full list of required host system tool updates you can check the
list of packages that I build on the host for solaris -> linux
cross-builds (this should be considered a superset though, you wont need
them all for a *-gnu to linux-gnu build)

As for the current build method, ch5 was based off ch6 dependencies
(fair enough, circa LFS 4) with a lot of sweat instrumenting the build,
emphasis was placed on ensuring that where practicible binary deps were
satisfied as soon as humanly possible so the new tools were
predominately used for building the ch5 packages.

Ie: we were trying to mimic the old "build ch6 twice" approach (build
system from itself) as much as possible.

That way we either got a known good binary for use in ch5 (cannot
guarantee the host systems), or exposed build bugs due to glibc
migration etc early in ch5 as opposed to ch6.

Regards
[R]