Matt Darcy (the guvnah!) wrote:

> 1.) Kernel Headers, yes you knew this was coming but its certainly worth
> talking about, a lots been said on this but its really still unclear of
> direction. I suppose the discussion should center around
> a.) Do we stick with LLH and pray it takes off again
> b.) work with Jim's methods of sanitizing our own headers
> c.) Look at what other distros are doing and try to work with them
> d.) A N other option

I'm in favour of using b) as a stop-gap until the kernel guys have sorted
out their headers (hopefully in 2.6.18).

> 2.) Udev -  This again has been a hot topic of many projects, but with
> LFS now dropping hotplug I feel it important ti discuss and clear up a
> few areas
> a.) Udev rules - how complete/incomplete should they be
> b.) which project cover which rules eg; lfs base only, blfs additional,
> clfs base+additional archs devices ? that sort of thing

Personally, I think the status quo is fine.  Have LFS create just the base
devices (i.e. those that are usable with LFS packages).  Things like
printers, soundcards, scanners, etc. should be handled by BLFS where
appropriate explanatory material (if required) can be provided.

> c.) what are the livecd doing with udev - removing hotplug ? what rules
> are they using ? etc

I'd hope they're using the same rules as LFS+BLFS.  If not, I'd suggest
they make requests to the relevant project so our rules files can cater to
their needs.

> d.) Should we all use the same rules lfs/livecd/cross-lfs/hlfs even ?

I'd prefer us to, yes.  Again, if any projects have issues with the
current LFS rules I'd like to know what they are so we can try and deal
with them.

> 3.)  users and group creation
> a.) do we define uuid/gid for users in LFS - I don't think this is an
> option and has to be done

Agreed.

> b.) how does blfs address this, does it specify uid/gid per user, does
> it speficy users and let the user map the uid/gid - does it do nothing
> and just you need an "X" user with X permissions
> c.) how do the uid's/gid's tie in with udev rules ? for all projects

Udev doesn't care about uid's and gid's, just their names.  So, as long as
any user and group name mentioned in the rules files is present in
/etc/passwd and /etc/group then Udev should be happy.

> d.) do all projects use a unifrorm set of uid/gids and if so -how to we
> acomplish this?

I think all projects should aim to use the same set of uids and gids that
the particular project builds on.  i.e. BLFS should be able to assume that
LFS' gids are in use already.  LiveCD should assume LFS+BLFS gids, etc.

Regards,

Matt.