(Resending because I think I used the wrong From: address last time
around.)

Andrew Benton wrote:
> install the raw kernel headers from the 2.6.16 kernel in
> /tools/glibc-kernheaders and compile glibc against them. For
> userspace, keep using the 2.6.12 sanitised llc headers. Works for me.
> It worked well for LFS-6.0. It's a tried and tested method that
> builds glibc against the current kernel API.

How will your non-glibc userspace packages use inotify?

Yes, glibc has support for its syscalls, but the LLH headers do not, and
AFAIK glibc doesn't install headers for it; userspace programs therefore
won't be able to detect support for it, and likely won't use it.

(Note that this isn't an issue with the openat syscall and ones like it;
with those, the only change is a new syscall number, which glibc is able
to abstract away.  But inotify has a syscall, plus a few constants, plus
at least one struct -- inotify_event.)

I'm not so sure that your proposed solution is going to provide all the
capabilities of the kernel to userspace programs.  OTOH, many of these
programs have to have a way to fall back to something different if they
run on a kernel that doesn't support them, so in theory it shouldn't
break any of these programs.