On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:09:02 +1000, Greg Schafer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But getting back on topic, I personally don't buy any of the arguments for
> using `--with-arch=i486' listed in this ticket:

OK, as I also don't want to inflict default optimisation choices on LFSers I
can see your point of view, Greg.  However, Glibc simply doesn't build on my
x86 box without either passing "--with-arch=[>i386]" to GCC's configure
command, or setting 'CC="gcc -march=[>i386]"' before Glibc's configure command.
 So, for those who aren't well versed in toolchain intricacies (i.e. me), can
someone explain what the advantages/disadvantages of each approach are?

Thanks.

Matt.