Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:09:02 +1000, Greg Schafer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> But getting back on topic, I personally don't buy any of the arguments for
>> using `--with-arch=i486' listed in this ticket:
>
> OK, as I also don't want to inflict default optimisation choices on LFSers I
> can see your point of view

All of Gregs arguments appear to be rational. However, before I again
make a decision based on someone else's research, and change the jh
branch to something else, I'm going to be digging into this a little
further. Although, I probably won't be able to really touch it until
tomorrow night.

Matt, as far as CFLAGS go, IIRC, glibc must be built with some level of
optimization. If you set CFLAGS on the command line, I believe you're
overriding what is included by default in the Makefile system, so you
must also include some -O option in CFLAGS. -O2 is what Greg uses in
DIY. I would think that it would be more ideal to find exactly what it
is in the Glibc build system that defaults to i386 and change those
defaults with a sed of some sort to be i486.

Be warned that I'm just speaking from memory here. As I said above, I
will be spending time digging so that I understand the whole system
better, but if you get there first, great. Whoever commits this to trunk
should understand thoroughly the issue - a mistake I admit I made with
the jh branch.

--
JH