On 03/15/2014 05:26 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Olaf wrote:
>> On 2014-03-15 04:44, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm, just tell me in your own words how you do it.  Don't worry about
>>> what tools to use right now.
>>
>> This is how I currently create 'snapshots':
>>
>> # linux-firmware lives in GIT
>> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/
>> # The procedure to create a snapshot is something like:
>>
>> git pull
>> TAG=`git log -1 --pretty=format:%h`
>> git archive --prefix=linux-firmware-${TAG}/ HEAD | xz >
>> <location-for-storing>/linux-firmware-${TAG}.tar.xz
>>

>> Result is about ~ 22 MiB. Probably best/easiest to make that available
>> via anduin?
>> The archived snapshot comes with a Makefile which can be used to copy
>> the lot to /lib/firmware.
>> Or, if disk space is a concern, cherry pick the ones you need.
>
> OK, I'll try this and see want is there.  I personally don't need any
> firmware so I haven't had a need in the past.
>
>    -- Bruce

I for one had great deal of truble when it comes to firmware. Debian,
aiming to be a FSF free distro doesn't ship firmware by default on their
official install media. Both my network and wireless card require
firmware so it was impossible for me to install Debian via netinstall or
netboot at all. I had to resort to unofficial media or repackaging their
initramfs. Same goes for LFS. I can't get connection working unless I
have the firmware for my card. I am however using binary driver for my
wireless which is quite better than the in-kernel one, but that requires
more effort than just installing firmware.

I will try to write something regarding this, but I first have to finish
systemd-networkd integration in lfs systemd and git server instructions
for BLFS. So it might take some time unless someone beats me to it.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.