Sebastian Plotz wrote:
> Am 15.04.2014 05:37, schrieb Bryan Kadzban:
>> Also, does it work to match NICs by device path instead of MAC
>> address,
>
> Yes. Have a look at "|Path=pci-0000:02:00.0-*":|

Huh.  OK, that's unexpected.  :-)

However, while this:

> |[Match]
> Driver=brcmsmac
> Path=pci-0000:02:00.0-*

...looks reasonable except the path seems to match more than one device, this:

> [Link]
> Name=wireless0
> MTUBytes=1450
> BitsPerSecond=10M

(Er?  Not on wireless it's not ten megabit.  :-) )

> WakeOnLan=magic
> MACAddress=cb:a9:87:65:43:21|

...still appears to be matching by MAC?

Or am I misunderstanding, and the [Link] section doesn't control which name is
assigned to which interface?

>> Also also, is there a way to make systemd *not* do the rename at all,
>> and simply configure whatever device happens to show up that matches
>> the Match section?
>
> The file |/etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules is responsible| for
> renaming. So it can be disabled with:
>
> |ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules

That's not exactly the question I was asking, but maybe I'm missing something.

I understood that you said above that the MACAddress line in the config would
match a NIC by its address, and systemd would rename it to whatever was in the
Name line.

So maybe I should verify that.  With the config file you have above, and a
static IP set, does systemd issue a SIOCSIFNAME ioctl against a socket FD?  If
so, what string is in the ifr_newname char array?

And either way, what "ip addr add v.w.x.y/z dev XXXXXX" would systemd run to
add the fixed IP to the interface?  (Or if it adds the address itself via
netlink, then (a) why doesn't it use standard tools to do configuration, (b)
does it actually support multiple addresses per interface like ip does, and
(c) what name does it dereference to an ifindex for the ifa_index arg to the
netlink message that it sends to add the address?)