On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 01:20:19AM +0200, dueff...@uwe-dueffert.de wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> wasn't confident enough to post it before, but as an answer I'm fine with
> it:
>
> On Sat, 5 May 2018, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> > I've got too much on at the moment to think about starting gcc-8
> > testing.
> gcc-8.1 was a "silent" update here. No issues seen so far, not tested
> properly either, though.
>
> > Still trying to pin down gimp-2.10 (I've given up waiting
> > for 2.10.2),
> Only thing I had to add for 2.10 was mypaint-brushes (CMMI). Admittedly,
> there were more packages for 2.9.x already (exiv2, gexiv2, libmypaint,
> json-c for libmypaint) a few months ago, which sound useful, may be a little
> more complex, but did not cause any issues so far.
>
> Well, BUT. gimp-2.10 needs gegl-0.4.0, which will require a patch to build
> with ffmpeg-4.0. I'm not confident enough about my patch to post it here.
> [Based on similar ffmpeg-4.0 patches found in the net.]
>
> > firefox-60.0 is expected this coming week.
> Don't remember what exactly made me try firefox-60.0b16 - I don't usually
> try betas - but built fine for me with ffmpeg4.0 and
> system_graphite2_harfbuzz patch and no issues with it so far...
>
> Uwe

(Long response, I'm too 'ed off by testing to trim what I'm
posting!)

Thanks for your comments - I took the patch from Arch (Pierre noted
it on the ticket).  Normally I build gimp before ffmpeg, but on this
occasion I did it the other way round - which reminded me that I had
to add the patch to my script ;)

For the dependencies - I've been using releases/pre-releases
intermittently since 2.9.6 so I knew of them.  One thing you might
have missed is a snafu in gimp-2.0.pc : it claims to require
gegl-0.3 >= 0.4.0 (sed or a manual edit post-install can fix that).

The only thing I know of which definitely needs that is is g'mic :
there was a report of the (current, maintained) qt filters not
building with 2.10.0 this week - and a recommendation to use the
(unmaintained) gtk filters.  But I've built the latest 2.2.3-pre
(with the add-on qt v2.2.2 package) a few hours ago - seems to work
although I can't open my raw files in 2.10.0 to thoroughly exercise
g'mic, that seems to be a gimp regression since rc2 - possibly a new
fix for nufraw will emerge.

But what I'm currently struggling with is the help: gimp-help-2.10.0
is some way away of (lack of developers), I've been using gimp-help
from git (not everything is there) but I wanted to try the online
help: needs gvfs at build time, and at a guess yelp and webkitgtk at
runtime - the online docs are not in html.  I'm probably going to go
with a copy of current git gimp-help, but it would be nice to sort
out the deps for the online help.

And thanks for the comment on firefox - I've got an updated patch
(just updated required versions of graphite2 and harbuzz, I think)
to match what 60betas have shipped with.  But I was hoping there
would be a newer harfbuzz release - firefox cherry-picked a patch
from harbuzz-git to avoid memory leakage, although I don't think
most of us will have a problem with the current release.  In theory
60 should be less problematic for pulseaudio (for those of us not
using systemd, which will apparently restart the daemon itself, and
not using desktop environments which manage to keep the pulseaudio
daemon running).

Cheers,

ĸen