On 2018-08-11 18:07 +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> I'm running all the tests (except for vim - I think that dislikes my
> use of urxvt) and I wasn't intending to look at the results until
> later (this build is experimental, to see how much, if any, damage
> is caused by various potential BLFS updates).  But for grep 'make
> check' unexpectedly failed (status 1) after an XFAIL.
>
> XFAIL triple-backref (exit status: 1)

It's a good thing.  Glibc-2.28 fixed a bug so this test should not
FAIL now.  See thread
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/2018-08/msg00000.html>.

>  The voluminous output in test-suite.log seems to be the same as
> what I logged from stdout and stderr, and looking closely I now
> notice:
>
> grep: regexec.c:1359: pop_fail_stack: Assertion `num >= 0' failed.
> ./triple-backref: line 15:  8025 Aborted                 (core dumped) grep
> -E '(.?)(.?)(.?)\3\2\1' in > out
> + fail=1
>
> Looking at the log from the same version (3.1) when I last built it,
> the main tests had two XFAIL, backref-alt and triple-backref but
> WITHOUT an assertion failure.

I rebuilt grep-3.1 on my LFS-8.2 with Glibc-2.27.  Both
triple-backref and backref-alt aborted because of fail assertions.
Please recheck your result.

> make[3]: Entering directory '/building/grep-3.1/tests'
> Testsuite summary for GNU grep 3.1
> # TOTAL: 109
> # PASS:  88
> # SKIP:  19
> # XFAIL: 2
> # FAIL:  0
> # XPASS: 0
> # ERROR: 0
> make[3]: Leaving directory '/building/grep-3.1/tests'
> Making check in gnulib-tests
>
> and in gnulib-tests on that build 134 tests passed and 7 were
> skipped, but on today's build gnulib is not mentioned in the test
> output.

The "main" test "failed" (XPASS in fact) then `make` just bailed out.
With "make check -k" gnulib-test would run.

We can

    sed '/^am__append_2/d' -i tests/Makefile

after configuring Grep, or just use "make check -k" and tell the
audiences there would be a XPASS test with Glibc-2.28.
--
Xi Ruoyao <xry...@mengyan1223.wang>