On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 16:37 -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
> Let's say for sake of argument I've started in my home directory.  Now
> let me ask if this sequence of code is correct to get to putting the
> symlink in the right place.
>
> # su
> # echo $LFS
>   /mnt/lfs
> # mkdir $LFS/tools
> # cd $LFS/tools
> # ln -s $LFS/tools /

Yes, but you seem to have a misconception here which I cannot wrap *my*
head around.  Step 4 (cd $LFS/tools) is unnecessary and has no bearing
on the link creation.  You could be in *any* directory when it is
executed.

In effect the command states.

Take the last element of the first parameter and use it as the name for
the symlink in the second parameter.  Nowhere in there is a reference to
the current directory directly or indirectly.

Does this help?  I'm no teacher, so I may bow out gracefully now and let
someone else take over.
--
Whoever would lie usefully should lie seldom.