Matthew Burgess wrote:

Henry Grefrath wrote:

Hi Tony,

I was hoping I could build a small system on this laptop. It has 32MB of RAM and I setup a 75MB swap partition. The rest of the hard disk 1.2GB is mounted as /mnt/lfs.

I think you might struggle with that, I'm afraid. Building just chapter 5 on an Athlon XP 2400+ with 512MB RAM and 512MB swap took just over 3.5 hours over the weekend (admittedly that included all the toolchain testsuites as well). A better approach, if possible, would be to utilise a much faster machine than your laptop, then copy the resulting system across, minus any binaries and libraries you don't require.

Have to agree, and maybe even stretch it to; it won't work.. :(
I compiled LFS 6.0 on a P-200MMX a few months ago. 96MB RAM and 7GB HD. First followed my standard procedure and set up 190MB (ca 2xRAM) swap, and started building. Don't remember exactly where the problem started, but think it was the bootstrap phase in ch5. Strange errors.. Tried again, similar, but not the same.. Ok, finally I set up 1GB swap, and managed to compile the whole system. Took me about a week, wouldn't recommend it. :) The case is, with low RAM, you gonna need alot of swap, and then there's not enough space left on your 1.2GB HD for building.. :(

--Tor Olav