2005/12/1, SyĆ²ndil Boscoverde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Hi all,
I followed the procedure of creating a brand-new
account named 'lfs', and I tried to unpack the
binutils source code (.tar.gz) using its privileges.
Unfortunately, I've got the following error:

tar: gzip: Cannot exec: Too many levels of symbolic
links
tar: Child returned status 2

Instead, if I execute the same command ('tar -zxvf
bin...tar.gzip') as root, everything goes ok.

any help?
thanks.

It is recomended that the sources directory is created, where the sources tar should be placed. Then, if you did it this way, you shold change the owner of the sources directory to lfs whit the -R option in order to change the owner of all it's files.

In less words, check that the owner of the binutils sources tar.gz is the lfs user.