On 1/30/06, Josh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hda is my Windows XP, without which, i couldn't have joined this
> mailing list or search for information online.  I chose to completely
> preserve the MBR (and all of my first hard drive) as it is my lifeline
> if something goes wrong.  The next task at hand is to figure out how to
> tweak the windows boot.ini file to default boot my LFS system.  After
> that I can modify any and all linux configuration files to suit my
> tastes.  Once I've accomplished that, it's on to the BLFS book. :-D

Congrats, Josh.  The first one is the toughest.  It get's infinitely
easier from here on out.

I've been doing the dual-boot thing with XP for about a year now.
Getting boot.ini sounds like an interesting exercise, but going with
GRUB will be much easier.  GRUB is intentionally built to handle many
types of systems, while Windows, well...

I can say that you shouldn't be scared to overwrite the MBR.  I was
scared, too, but it turns out it's not dangerous.  All you need to
rewrite the MBR with the XP bootloader is the XP CD.  That's in the
highly unlikely event that you decide that linux is not for you and
you want to go back to just Windows.

If you want to email me off-list about tips for dual-booting with
Windows, feel free to.  This probably isn't the best forum to discuss
it, though.  My email address should be in the header of this message.

--
Dan