I started a new build of current dev LFS, and noticed some strange
behavior from tar once inside chroot. Using tar 1.23, attempting to pipe
its "tf" output through "head" results in a "tar: write error". In other
words...

tar -tjf /home/sources/glibc-2.11.1.tar.bz2 | head -n1
glibc-2.11.1/
./tar-1.23/src/tar: write error

I do not get any kind of error message when just using "tar -tf" by
itself, only when piping through "head". Also, I tried piping through
various other programs (grep, sed...) and got nothing. Initially I
thought there was some problem with filesystems mounted or something
like that in the chroot, but I get exactly the same result on my host
system. In fact, if I unpack tar 1.22 and do "./configure && make", then
do the same with tar 1.23, and try using the "tf" option with both
versions of tar (this is on my host system)...

ch...@chris_laptop:~$ ./tar-1.22/src/tar -tjf
/home/sources/glibc-2.11.1.tar.bz2 | head -n1
./tar-1.22/src/tar: Record size = 8 blocks
glibc-2.11.1/
ch...@chris_laptop:~$ ./tar-1.23/src/tar -tjf
/home/sources/glibc-2.11.1.tar.bz2 | head -n1
glibc-2.11.1/
./tar-1.23/src/tar: write error
ch...@chris_laptop:~$

I also get the same result inside chroot. My host system is a
few-months-old CLFS build with EGLIBC, and the chroot environment is a
current LFS dev build, so there are different versions of both libc and
Coreutils, but I get the same results. I don't know why it seems to come
up only when piping through head, and it doesn't really seem to affect
anything - my scripts (which use tar tf | head and are the reason I
noticed this in the first place) still seem to work fine. I just want to
verify if anyone else gets the same result - basically take Tar 1.23, do
"tar tf [filename] | head" and see what happens.