>On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:21:29 -0600
>Mike McCarty <mike.mcca...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > Chris Staub wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> I do not get any kind of error message when just using "tar -tf"
> >> by itself, only when piping through "head". Also, I tried piping
> >> through various other programs (grep, sed...) and got nothing.
> >
> > I get the same error message with head:
> >
> > ./configure
> > make
> > cd src
> > ./tar -tf ../../tar-1.23.tar.bz2 |head
> >

> > Me too.
> >

> > I'll report the bug.
>
> I wonder if "head" is closing the input pipe when it has read
> all it needs, and that's causing the error. I can't reproduce
> that problem with my host system, however.
>
> Mike

I can also confirm problems with tar-1.23.

What is your host system? I have Glibc-2.9, GNU Coreutils-7.6 and
Bash-4.0.35, on top of Linux-2.6.23.2.

Speculating: maybe the problem is not with the tar per se, but
somewhere in the interface? If there is a system on which tar-1.23
behaves properly..

-AKuktin