On 5/26/10, Simon Geard <delga...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> I can't really see how things can be improved (short of blinking red
> text on *every* page), but it does seem like half the problems we deal
> with are from people not following it. Are people not even reading that
> entire "General Compilation Instructions" page, and skipping straight to
> the packages?

The important note #1 in ch 5.3 is clear.
However, "General Compilation Instructions"  never specifies the flow
of events expected to follow:

1 - make sure $LFS is set to the target directory (export LFS=/mnt/lfs)
2 - change directory to $LFS/sources
3 - unpack the package tarball
4 - change directory to the unpacked directory created by tar
5 - follow package build and install instructions
6 - change directory to $LFS/sources
7 - remove the unpacked directory created by tar

At least I can't remember where that is.