On Wednesday 26 May 2010 13:19:54 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Neal Murphy wrote:
> >>
> >> The important note #1 in ch 5.3 is clear.
> >> However, "General Compilation Instructions"  never specifies the flow
> >> of events expected to follow:
> >>
> >> 1 - make sure $LFS is set to the target directory (export LFS=/mnt/lfs)
> >> 2 - change directory to $LFS/sources
> >> 3 - unpack the package tarball
> >> 4 - change directory to the unpacked directory created by tar
> >> 5 - follow package build and install instructions
> >> 6 - change directory to $LFS/sources
> >> 7 - remove the unpacked directory created by tar
>
> We don't have it in a list, but it is in Section 5.3.  I even put in a
> note as the very first thing in Binutils:
>
>   Note

> notes labeled important will save you a lot of problems later.
>
> I guess I'll need to reemphasize some more.  :(

Allow me to present a couple definitions. First, a 'user guide' is a documnet
written in plain language prose that guides the user through some task or
operation. Second, a 'reference manual' is a document written using less prose
and more 'techno-ese' to provide all the syntax needed to perform variations of
a task or operation.

From a "user guide" viewpoint, I think the existing emphasis is great; the book
is well-written. From a 'reference manual' viewpoint, the details and syntaces
can be, mmm, hard to see.

Recall the old adage, "Tell 'em what you're going to tell 'em. Tell 'em. Then
tell 'em what you told 'em." Perhaps what Linux Fan and I are trying to say is
that the LFS book could be improved by adding that list to the bottom of the
"General Compilation Instructions". Think of it as a terse summary of the steps
to be taken. Then put a link directly to that list on each package build page.
Yes, it will be repetitious. But the human eye will ignore it it if it's not
needed.

Something like:

Summary of general package build operations
  a. Pre-build steps
     1. set $LFS equal to the target directory
     2. cd to $LFS/sources
     3. unpack the package archive
     4. cd to the package directory
  b. Follow the package build and install instructions.
  c. Post-build steps
     1. change directory to $LFS/sources
     2. remove the unpacked directory created by tar
     3. remove the build directory if created, unless told not to

There it is in a nutshell: a handy reference reminder.