On 1 July 2010 23:12, Face <falaz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-2.20.1$ CC="$LFS_TGT-gcc -B/tools/lib/" \
>>             AR=$LFS_TGT-ar RANLIB=$LFS_TGT-ranlib \
>>             ../binutils-2.20.1/configure --prefix=/tools \
>>             --disable-nls --with-lib-path=/tools/lib
> checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

 In your original thread this morning, to which I replied asking
*you* what config.log said (emphasis there, because *you* need
to learn how to find the important information in it, you had specified
ABI=32 and were supposedly building for pentium2, but here you are
building for x86_64.  Maybe you realised you had accidentally passed
as 32-bit parameter ?  Sitting here, threads which die are no real use
to anyone, nor are those where people only say "fixed it".  You've
taken the list's time to look at your problem - sharing solutions or
what you now realise you've done wrong will help the next person
who does something similar.

Anyway, after downloading the log, the following is the relevant part:

configure:4060: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:4082: x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc -B/tools/lib/    conftest.c  >&5
configure:4086: $? = 0
configure:4123: result: a.out
configure:4139: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:4148: ./a.out
../binutils-2.20.1/configure: line 4150: ./a.out: No such file or directory
configure:4152: $? = 127
configure:4159: error: in `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build':
configure:4163: error: cannot run C compiled programs.

 So, first the script decides the output file is 'a.out', but then it
fails to find it.  Looks as if your compiler is broken.  Now, a little
while before this, you used a compiler to build and install glibc.
At that point it must have been working.

 Therefore, you did something wrong in section 5.8.

 In that section, there is a Caution telling you to test the
compiler, followed by the Note:

|Building Binutils in the next section will serve as an additional
| check that the toolchain has been built properly. If Binutils fails
| to build, it is an indication that something has gone wrong with
|  the previous Binutils, GCC, or Glibc installations.

 Since running configure now fails to generate  an a.out file,
it appears that you did not run the test, and that you did
something wrong when you attempted to follow section 5.8.

 If you have indeed created a specs file somewhere (it
ought to be at /mnt/lfs/tools/lib/gcc/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu/4.5.0
if I'm not mistaken.

 I'm guessing now, but maybe you can rename yours to a
different name, repeat section 5.8, and then run the test.
If that works, perhaps diffing the correct specs file against
the earleir one will help you work out what went wrong.

 Unfortunately, it's very easy to pass strings to sed that do
not generate any error, but change things wrongly.  I advise
you to check the whole sed command before you hit the
'enter' key.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"