Mike Hollis wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 04:11:57AM -0600, robert wrote:
>> from within linux-2.6.36.1 directory
>> $patch -Np1 -i ../glibc-2.12.1-gcc_fix-1.patch
>>
>> yields:
>> patching file nptl/sysdeps/pthread/pt-initfini.c
>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 45.
>> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>> nptl/sysdeps/pthread/pt-initfini.c.rej
>> patching file sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/sysdep.h
>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 29.
>> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>> sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/sysdep.h.rej
>>
>> Normal ... fatal???
>> --
>
>  You are in the wrong directory . You are trying to apply a glibc patch
> to the Linux kernel. You should be in the unpacked glibc directory.
> I don't think you understand the fundamentals of the install procedure
> and a grasp of this is needed for a successful build.
>
>  I respectfully suggest you and stop and read the book again before
> you proceed , particularly chapter 5.3 General Compilation Instructions.
>
> Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving !
>
> --- Mike Hollis ---
Thanks, Mike.  Just a mis-pasted error.  I caught it, corrected it, and
now proceed along my way.

And thanks too for the respectful suggestion.

I have a fairly good "beginner's" grasp of the compile/build procedure.
  And yes, I refer often to 5.3.  It is settling in.  Steep curve, but
I'm getting there.

Once again, thanks.

robert