Pursuing the subject of package management, I've been considering
the use more than one of the hints. One hint I've explored somewhat
is the Package User hint. I must admit, that while it's simple,
and attractive, I don't like burdening something which isn't intended
to track packages, namely user names, with that task. However, I do
like the additional security provided by having more or less normal
users rather than root doing maintenance.

Another idea I like quite a bit, having used it with similar version
control systems and package managers, is using a fake root build,
that is, installing to a destination other than the final one for
test before final install.

I've been pondering the adavantages of combining the Package User
with the Fake Root, and it appeals to me.
hints/downloads/files/more_control_and_pkg_man.txt
hints/downloads/files/fakeroot.txt
(possibly also crab)

However, after giving some consideration to the UnionFS Hint, I
wonder whether it might not go one step beyond the Fake Root.
hints/downloads/files/pkg_unionfs.txt

I see that it's not quite as simple as the author presents, since it
requires kernel patches and significant modifications to the
initialization process. However, it doesn't look all that difficult,
and fairly straightforward. It does require some "holding one's tongue
just right".

However, I've heard rumors about UnionFS not being quite robust,
and wonder about that. I also note that it hasn't been put in
upstream, nor has its competitor AUFS.

I'd like to open discussion of relative merits and demerits. I like
the ability to load and unload packages "live", and give things
a test drive before commiting to them.

I'd like others who have spent some reasonable amount of time thinking
about using the UnionFS approach to comment, both advantages and
disadvantages, and whether AUFS might be better and why.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.