On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 07:53:59PM +0100, Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:55:35 -0700
> bsquared <bwcod...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can anyone help determine what may be wrong with kernel config.
> > The last message is:
> >
> > [  15.448606] [<c16c5079>] ? 386_start_kernel + 0x79/0x7b
> >
> > It looks like several drivers have loaded as I noticed SDA, USB and
> > ATH5K related messages were displayed.
> >
> > There are no error messages, but the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock
> > keyboard lites blink until system is shutdown.
>
> That looks like part of a kernel panic message. It may be due to a your
> kernel .config but it could also be because you've passed it an
> incorrect option from the grub command line (maybe the wrong partition?
> ). To work on your kernel .config, use lspci and (from a ubuntu live
> CD) lsmod (to see what modules they load). And then keep trying
> different options and recompiling until you get it right. Read the help
> (press ?) for the different options and if you're still not sure use
> google. Sorry I can't be more specific but at the moment you've not
> given us much to go on.
>
> Andy
 Apart from that good advice, there *will* have been some sort of
error message, although it's possible that it scrolled off the
screen.  Followed by a register dump, and then a list of the
addresses where the kernel had been : the *beginning* of the list,
and any messages just before the register dump, might be more
informative.

 Is this a development (-rc) kernel ?  If it is, problems are to be
expected, and should be reported on lkml - but, I'll guess this
isn't an -rc.  If it's a release, do you have a .config that you have
used for a *recent* kernel on this machine ?  If not, Andy's
suggestion is definitely the way to go.  In my own case,
SystemRescueCD had some extra tools to help identify the hardware.

 If this is a new dot-release (the '.y' part of 2.6.xx.y), try using
the same .config (with make oldconfig) on the .xx version itself, or
the previous .y, because bugs do happen in stable releases.

 Keeping up-to-date with kernel .configs can be a pain - in theory,
'zcat /proc/config.gz >.config && make oldconfig' should give you a
bootable kernel - if in doubt, take the defaults on the new options.
In practice, things break from time to time - often, the preferred
way to fix them is to change the .config.  On my desktop boxes, I
try to test development kernels, and things mostly go well (although
I sometimes select things that look useful, and then carry them
forward because I forget that they aren't useful to me).  Across two
rather different machines in regular use, and one other in
occasional use, I get perhaps one new fails-to-boot problem a year
(but then, I don't usually test before -rc2 or -rc3!).  On my
server, rebooting is unwelcome, so I tend to not do this, and as a
result I suffer when I do eventually upgrade it.

ĸen