<<<<<<<
    On my host system? Oh no. The kernel that comes with RH9. 2.4.20-6. A
redhat version of a 2.4 kernel. I would just install the latest gentoo but
it's about as difficult if not more so than lfs. I have the minimal ISO and
have to go online and download a couple of files and use nano. RH9 comes
with pico the older version of nano. If I could just get a gentoo up and
running with a C development environment I might be able to go ahead and
build the lfs. But gentoo is another "lfs like" system. A learning
experience for sure though.

Bill,
        My suggestion to use the gentoo livedvd does not mean installing
gentoo on your system, instead, the dvd contain the needed development tools
to be used as is. The minimal iso you were using does not come with the
development environment which is why I have suggested you download the dvd;
it is a complete system which start in X so you can fire up a web browser at
the LFS pages and start working. This is what I am using at the moment.

Alain