Christian Gardner wrote:

> So I've managed to build an LFS7 system - yay me - and it boots and I
> can use it. But there's lots of error messages. There seem to be
> around seven reports (possibly one per startup script?) that it can't
> find /run/var/bootlog, and when I look in there, not only is there no
> bootlog, there's no 'var' dir in run at all. Also there are two
> points at which I am told I 'should not be seeing this message, an
> unforeseen error occurred', and I have to hit enter to continue.
> These seem to occur while the scripts S00mountvirtfs and S40mountfs
> are running. I get a similar bunch of errors (but without the fun
> interactive element) when I shut down.
>
> Hope someone can help. If you need more detail you'll have to explain
> to me how to save all those messages I see, or where to look for them
> if they're logged somewhere.

The first script to run is mountvirtfs.  The first thing that bootscript
does is:

# Make sure /run/var is available before logging any messages
mkdir -p /run
mount -n /run || failed=1
mkdir -p /run/{var,lock,shm}

I suspect that you do not have /etc/fstab configured correctly.  You
should have:

tmpfs          /run         tmpfs  defaults        0     0

Take another look at Section 8.2 - Creating the /etc/fstab File

By the way, we've made some improvements and fixed some bugs in the
bootscripts.  Try reinstalling them using

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/development/lfs-bootscripts-20111114.tar.bz2

   -- Bruce