On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 03:34 -0700, Scott Robertson wrote:
> Under section 2.3 the very first thing one does (other than version-check.sh
> in the Preface)
> is create the file system using the mke2fs command.  Where does it say you
> need to be root for that?
> I'm just saying maybe not everyone knows that you need to be root in order
> for
> that to work.  Wouldn't it be worthwhile to simply add two words to clarify
> on page 15?

It might, but see - this is why we emphasise that a certain amount of
knowledge is required. We assume that if you're doing an LFS build, you
don't need to be told that formatting a partition must be done as root.

Please understand - we're not trying to be rude or hostile. We can, and
do, make changes to improve the book's instructions, when we find that
people are mislead by poor wording or lack of explanation.

But well... the instructions you're having difficulty with are ones that
many others have been successfully using for many years now. If you're
having this much difficulty with them, it does suggest to us that a lack
of Linux/Unix experience is a factor.

> It may not be immediately obvious where one is supposed to be when issuing
> the command:
> mkdir -v ../binutils-build
> cd ../binutils-build

Remember the bit "change to the directory created when the package was
extracted", followed by "follow the book's instructions for building the
package". That tells you exactly where you should be when running that
command.

Re-read that page "General Compilation Instructions" - it really is
very, very important, and we've spent an awful lot of effort making
those instructions as clear as possible.

Simon.