Qrux wrote:

> LFS devs, writers, and editors, please try to understand that the LFS can
> read like a list of GPS coordinates given at 1mm spacings without altitude
> and annotations.  If I follow it *exactly*, and assume no errors in the
> readings or the map, and I make the same set of assumptions as you, then I'll
> get there.  But, if I miss by just a tiny bit, instead of walking along a
> ridge, I fall off the cliff.  Having been around a bit to see users struggle
> and struggle and struggle with the "implied" directions in Chapter 5 about
> unpacking stuff, (esp. when the rest of time you're repeating to people to
> follow the book VERBATIM), it seems that there could be more warning there.

Computers are like that.  Get one bit wrong and the whole thing fails.

What more do you want?  5.3 gives explicit instructions.  5.4 is binutils and
the very first thing is a note to go back and ensure you understand 5.3.

What we are not going to do is put on every page:

tar -xf package.tar.xz
cd package
cd ..
rm -rf package package-build

The users need to learn to think about what needs to be done, not just
copy/paste without understanding.

Also some users are just not ready for LFS.  Section iv says:  "Building an LFS
system is not a simple task. It requires a certain level of existing knowledge
of Unix system administration in order to resolve problems and correctly
execute
the commands listed. In particular, as an absolute minimum, you should already
have the ability to use the command line (shell) to copy or move files and
directories, list directory and file contents, and change the current
directory.
It is also expected that you have a reasonable knowledge of using and
installing
Linux software."

   -- Bruce