Keiran wrote:

>> That tells me that gcc is not installed or binutils wasn't installed
>> correctly.  What is the output of the script in Section iii - Host
>> System Requirements?

> bash, version 4.2.24(1)-release
> Binutils: (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.22
> bison (GNU Bison) 2.5
> bzip2,  Version 1.0.6, 6-Sept-2010.
> Coreutils:  8.13
> diff (GNU diffutils) 3.2
> find (GNU findutils) 4.4.2
> GNU Awk 3.1.8
> gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3
> (Ubuntu EGLIBC 2.15-0ubuntu10) 2.15
> grep (GNU grep) 2.10
> gzip 1.4
> Linux version 3.2.0-29-generic-pae (buildd@roseapple) (gcc version 4.6.3
> (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) ) #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:25:43 UTC 2012
> m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.16
> GNU Make 3.81
> patch 2.6.1
> Perl version='5.14.2';
> GNU sed version 4.2.1
> tar (GNU tar) 1.26
> Texinfo: makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.13
> xz (XZ Utils) 5.1.0alpha
> gcc compilation OK

OK gcc is installed, but you don't list the symlinks you have:

/bin/sh -> /bin/bash
/usr/bin/yacc -> /usr/bin/yacc
/usr/bin/awk -> /usr/bin/gawk

Make sure the environment variable LFS is correct and that the target
partition is mounted correctly.  Also check that $LFS/tools exists and
the symlink is there in /.

I suggest redoing binutils and then follow the instructions for gcc
exactly as written.

   -- Bruce