On 09/05/2012 09:55 AM, Jasmine Iwanek wrote:
> On 2012-09-05 13:34, Baho Utot wrote:
[putolin]

>> I always build all of LFS with -j4 or -j8 and it has not failed me.
>>
>> Maybe those that do have a problem are all using a scripted build vs
>> those that don't have a scripted build?
>>
>> Suggesting that it may be only showing up in scripted builds?
> Could well be the case, aye, but that kind of backs the original point,
> as far as I can tell, we should not be having to support people who
> didn't follow the book instructions (or as was pointed out by bruce)
> didn't look before they leaped, after all, if you're unable to find the
> time to do even one build by hand, what hope do you have to find the
> time to properly script your builds and debug said scripts?

Leaping before looking is what I do well and it has taught me a great
deal.  Following a path by others may be a very good guide, but to truly
learn requires ones to deviate from the beaten path and strike out on
your own.  How else can you create a truly giant mess in which to learn
from?  Like taking LFS and adding pacman packager.

By scripting your builds you learn a great deal about linux and admin.
One also has the opportunity to learn some debugging skills.  Scripted
builds also give one repeatability once they are working.

I have scripted my LFS builds and incorporating the pacman package
manager. I started with 6.8 and I am currently completing 7.2.  I did so
that I can confirm that my scripts produce a proper build, i.e. it was
tested over the four builds which gave me the opportunity to weed out
non apparent errors.  I then took those same packages produced by the
build and installed them onto 5 other machines so I could check to see
if the build was generic for the i686 and x86_64 platforms.

I now have a solid platform in which to create a distribution system (
as well building BLFS ) as for the computers under my care.  I have
learned many things.

I still think that helping others even if they have failed to follow the
book is a worthy goal as it shows where the book my be improved.  Who
knows by some not following the book new things are learned?

Helping others is always good.