On 2012-09-05 22:38, Robert Cox wrote:
> going thru the prerequisites again and decided to build a custom
> kernel for my distro.
>
> linux gets confusing because of the independent thinking both good
> and bad...
> 1. distro call for debian is export cpu flags and so on... and the
> straight build is j4.... or +1 or all the virtual cpu's depends on
> what tutorial you read. etc...

Avoid building GCC and binutils with anything higher than -j 1 and you
should be fine.

> 2.one of the great things is the script since 2.6 kernel
> localmoduleconf or whatever I forget... that builds the loaded
> modules... just thinking about all the choices in menuconfig even
> after coping my distro's config files over.... headache.

Sadly, I can't help you much with kernel configuration, Barring the
important options like tmpfs, it can vary greatly from system to system,
A good starting point is to compile it without any modules, but
everything linked into the kernel, no pissing about with initrd's that
way.

> 3. what is the abi in the boot??? modules ??? or linking to
> modules???

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here.

>  remember things have changed much since I last built LFS. and I am a
> lowly roofer by trade... this is only a hobby and I've not started to
> work on LFS again... only the prerequisites..... lots of reading.
> tweak

Aye, they have indeed, I remember my first time building a kernel, and
that was back in the days of 2.0 when things were "simple".

nomatter, you've answered my "call to arms" as it were and shown that
you are polite and worth assisting.

Jasmine->FaithInHumanity++;

XD

--