On Dec 1, 2012, at 4:59 AM, Simon Geard wrote:

Basically, I'm hoping that someone more familiar than me with the
toolchain can tell me how a chapter 6 package (bash) might be linked
against a library not installed in chapter 6 (the non-wide version of
ncurses). The obvious answer is that it's found the version built in
chapter 5, but what could cause that?

You can run strace -f <chroot command>  and see what is going on.

Also follow this:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/adjusting.html

Do your results of those commands look good?

Is /lib and /usr/lib linked properly to /lib64 and /usr/lib64 ?

Since you can't chroot anymore with a broken /bin/bash, redo the / tools/bin/bash link to /bin/bash as in this section:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/createfiles.html

Next, do your scripts remove all build and source directories after each install in ch5 and ch6?

Have you done a successful build without using scripts? If so, you can do it again and check your history with your scripts.
You can upload the scripts somewhere and we can look at them.

Sincerely,

William Harrington