On 12/17/2012 06:00 AM, JIA Pei wrote:

> Hi, all;
>
> Sorry to bug all of you again.
> I've successfully built
> Binutils  2.23.1
> GCC   4.7,2
> Linux-kernel   3.6.10
> Glib   2.16.0
>
> However, is it a must for me to proceed to the pass 2 of binutils and gcc?

Whatever is in the book is there for a reason.

> I'm now following "Pass 2 of Binutils "
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter05/binutils-pass2.html
>
> the following step
> /CC=$LFS_TGT-gcc            \/
> /AR=$LFS_TGT-ar             \/
> /RANLIB=$LFS_TGT-ranlib     \/
> /../binutils-2.22/configure \/
> /    --prefix=/tools        \/
> /    --disable-nls          \/
> /    --with-lib-path=/tools/lib/
>
> brings me error messages:
>
> /lfs@peijia-GA-870A-UD3:/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ CC=$LFS_TGT-gcc
>             \/
> /> AR=$LFS_TGT-ar             \/
> /> RANLIB=$LFS_TGT-ranlib     \/
> /> ../binutils-2.23.1/configure \/
> />     --prefix=/tools        \/
> />     --disable-nls          \/
> />     --with-lib-path=/tools/lib/
> /checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu/
> /checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu/
> /checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu/
> /checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c/
> /checking whether ln works... yes/
> /checking whether ln -s works... yes/
> /checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed/
> /checking for gawk... gawk/
> /checking for gcc... i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc/
> /checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out/
> /*checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: in
> `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build':*/
> /*configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.*/
> /If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'./
> /See `config.log' for more details./
>

> So, my question now is: is Pass 2 of binutils a must??

You are clearly having great difficulty. For one thing, you claim you
are following the stable book but you are using versions from the latest
development, and obviously that is not working well, and of course that
doesn't take into account whatever other deviations from the book that
you might be doing that you haven't mentioned. Solution: rm -rf
$LFS/tools, go back to page 1, actually *read* every word in each page
of the book, not just the commands (as most of your questions so far
have in fact been answered right in the book itself), and do exactly as
instructed, including the correct package versions.