On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 05:31:19PM -0400, Viola Zoltán wrote:
> Hi, excuse me for the bad English... I try LFS from Sabayon host system,
> with this GCC version:
>
> lfs@Csiszilla /Mount/Simplicity/sources/gcc-build $ gcc --version
> gcc (Gentoo Hardened 4.7.2-r1 p1.5, pie-0.5.5) 4.7.2
>
> The "binutils" succeeded. The GCC not. It wrote me this error message:
>

> build/genautomata ../../gcc-4.8.1/gcc/config/i386/i386.md \
>   insn-conditions.md > tmp-automata.c
> /bin/sh: line 1: 24043 Bus error               build/genautomata
> ../../gcc-4.8.1/gcc/config/i386/i386.md insn-conditions.md > tmp-automata.c
> make[3]: *** [s-automata] Error 135

 Apparently, a bus error differs from a segfault - valid memory is
being accessed in an invalid way.  The example google found was for
unaligned accesses on architectures where those are illegal.  i686
is generally very permissive, so I can't imagine what sort of access
would cause this.

 Google did find similar examples on gentoo lists (users trying to
emerge gcc and getting a Bus error).  Apparently, the pie setting
was involved.  I've no idea how you would reduce the hardening on a
gentoo system.

 Someone in another gentoo response suggested reducing the CFLAGS to
something sane - if you are following LFS exactly, then the default
CFLAGS from the package should be used.  I -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti
are from the package.  But if you did set those, try without them.

> My significant variables:
>
> lfs@Csiszilla /Mount/Simplicity/sources/gcc-build $ echo $LFS
> /Mount/Simplicity

 Might work nowadays, but we always recommend /mnt/lfs.

ĸen