On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 05:10:57PM -0500, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> On 11/16/2013 6:10 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
>
> The kernel. It dies with a message like "... kernel panic ..."
>
> > Must you do a "hard" reset to start over or can you use
> > ALT-CTRL-DEL?
>
> I have to recycle the power.

 With your later comment about today's setback, this suggestion is
irrelevant unless/until you can get back to this state.  But if you
manage to recover to there, please see if any indications of what is
wrong get to the screen.

 If anything useful is there (i.e. not scrolled off), google it just
in case someone has found a fix.  If not, my first suggestion is to
try newer kernels.  This sounds very like the sort of thing that was
discussed in the various lkml threads about EFI/UEFI I alluded to
when replying to Dan in the past month (a change which fixes some
machines breaks others).

 I suggest that you start by trying 3.12.0.  No idea if anything
there will fix it, but it is current.  I normally don't recommend
people try early -rc kernels, and 3.13-rc1 wasn't even released when
I last checked.  If you haven't had any success when 3.13-rc1 is
released then certainly try it : but expect unrelated breakage in
all sorts of weird and wonderful corner cases.  So, if 3.12.0 doesn't
work I would then try 3.10.0 in case a later "fix" broke something,
and after that perhaps 3.8.0, 3.6.0, 3.4.0 (assuming your glibc
"--enable-kernel=" isn't as aggressive as mine and will let your
init run old kernels).  IFF you can find something old which boots,
you then get to work out what broke it.

ĸen, glad to be a luddite using the bios and an MBR - at least until
you guys have sorted out what needs to be done.