On 11/17/2013 06:03 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 05:10:57PM -0500, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
>> On 11/16/2013 6:10 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
>>
>> The kernel. It dies with a message like "... kernel panic ..."
>>
>>> Must you do a "hard" reset to start over or can you use
>>> ALT-CTRL-DEL?
>> I have to recycle the power.
>>

>   With your later comment about today's setback, this suggestion is
> irrelevant unless/until you can get back to this state.  But if you
> manage to recover to there, please see if any indications of what is
> wrong get to the screen.
>
>   If anything useful is there (i.e. not scrolled off), google it just
> in case someone has found a fix.  If not, my first suggestion is to
> try newer kernels.  This sounds very like the sort of thing that was
> discussed in the various lkml threads about EFI/UEFI I alluded to
> when replying to Dan in the past month (a change which fixes some
> machines breaks others).
>
>   I suggest that you start by trying 3.12.0.  No idea if anything
> there will fix it, but it is current.  I normally don't recommend
> people try early -rc kernels, and 3.13-rc1 wasn't even released when
> I last checked.  If you haven't had any success when 3.13-rc1 is
> released then certainly try it : but expect unrelated breakage in
> all sorts of weird and wonderful corner cases.  So, if 3.12.0 doesn't
> work I would then try 3.10.0 in case a later "fix" broke something,
> and after that perhaps 3.8.0, 3.6.0, 3.4.0 (assuming your glibc
> "--enable-kernel=" isn't as aggressive as mine and will let your
> init run old kernels).  IFF you can find something old which boots,
> you then get to work out what broke it.
>
> ĸen, glad to be a luddite using the bios and an MBR - at least until
> you guys have sorted out what needs to be done.
I don't know where in the boot sequence Alan was when he had a
"freeze."  I know it happened to me early on and I had to do a "hard
reset."  There were no messages from grub or kernel.  Just a blank
screen.  When I figured out how to configure the grub build for efi and
to use efivarfs, the system would still stop after I got the "echo" of
"Booting LFS-7.4......"  But in those instances I could reboot with
ALT-CTRL-DEL.  That told me that I had successfully gotten in to the
"grub system," but that "something" was stopping me from going further.

I googled, and googled and googled--in addition to offering the birth
rights of my first-born-son--but I got no pertinent or useful results.

Ken, you have something about using a newer kernel.  I think it was in
"rodsbooks" that I read something to the effect "this fails on some
kernels, then works on the next one."

My efforts have led me back to grub or kernel 3.10.10 as the culprit.  I
used the configuration file for kernel 3.8.<something> from Ubuntu.  I
knew that config would produce a bootable kernel.  But I got the same
results.  Geoff reports that he can boot without GRUB by using the
efi-stub of 3.10.10.  This tells me that 3.10.10 is one of those kernels
in which "it works." Soooooo, I'm back to looking at GRUB.  I've got one
more test to do before I copy my 3.10.10 to the EFI partition in an
attempt to get the results Geoff got.

With all the reading I've done at Arch-wiki, Gentoo-wiki, rodsbooks,
Ubuntu  I think I've discovered that this stuff is so new, no one really
knows how it works or how to make it work reliably build to build or
platform to platform.  I find the lack of information at Linux
Foundation, kernel.org and grub terribly interesting.  It supports my
"newness" conclusion.  There even are no "How do I fix this?" posts at
Linux Questions.

Bottom line.  I'm still trying.  But it looks like, as far as efi is
concerned, kernel efi-stubs and efibootmgr are the way to go.  With this
there is no need for grub.

Dan