On 23 August 2015 at 20:40, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> William Harrington wrote:
>
> Also IPV6 targets add ping6, but it also needs gcrypt or crypto
>> support for MD5. So either openssl, gcrypt or both need to be
>> installed before  iputils for ping6.
>>

> That's a deal breaker.  The inetutils ping6 works without those packages.
> This whole thing is because Richard does not want to add a 6 to a name in
> /etc/hosts like:
>
> 127.0.1.1 turing
> ::1       ip6-localhost ip6-loopback turing6
>
> I'm not going to add multiple packages to just accommodate this.  Users
> are, of course, able to add the appropriate packages themselves.

I always understood *LFS to be, in the main, a teaching medium.  If it's
now acceptable to fix a bug in a program by manipulating host names then
it's a sad state of affairs.  A host name should be static across a
complete system and not vary depending on whether IPv4 or IPv6 is being
used.

Actually, as I've already pointed out, a cleaner solution, in the interim,
is to make sure that all IPv6 entries in /etc/hosts appear *before* the
IPv4 entries.  That procedure negates the effect of the bug.  A note in the
book to that effect, when creating /etc/hosts, would be simple and
effective until a decision is finally made about which packages should be
installed in the longer term.

Richard