On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:13:59 +0100
Richard Melville <richard.melvill...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 23 August 2015 at 19:51, William Harrington <kb0...@berzerkula.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 12:28:20 -0500
> > Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm open to disabling ping/ping6 in inetutils and adding another package
> > > to replace them, but I need to get someone to figure the procedure (I
> > > can do the xml).  The iputils package does not ship built man pages or
> > > documentation and they cannot be built in the LFS environment.  They
> > > would need to be built externally and have LFS include them in a
> > > separate tarball like we used to do with eudev.
> >
> > Hello Bruce,
> >
> > CLFS has been installing iputils for a long time. You can refer to the
> > following page for more information regarding the installation. The last
> > patch was created from upstream fixes over a year ago. Some distros may
> > have more patches for it.
> >
> > http://clfs.org/view/git/x86/final-system/iputils.html
> >

> I think that version only has ping and not ping6.  The github version is
> the latest with more IPv6 tools.  I have a combined ping/ping6 .gz man page
> here but I thought that Bruce said that there was a problem with compressed
> man pages in LFS.
>
> Richard

Well I have a patch that isn't in the book that needs to be applied. Also IPV6
targets add ping6, but it also needs gcrypt or crypto support for MD5. So
either openssl, gcrypt or both need to be installed before iputils for ping6.

The man page for ping is also for ping6.

http://clfs.org/~kb0iic/patches/iputils-s20121221-fixes-3.patch

Sincerely,

William Harrington