On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 06:50:32PM +0200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've just finished working through the LFS book, and am now in the middle of
> BLFS. Thank you all for both books - they are extremely well written.
>
> I do have a few questions/comments, and I'll start with probably the most
> controversial one first. Please note, however, that I'm just politely
> asking, and am not trying to push any point of view on anyone :-)
>
> Have you considered using the unified-usr approach in LFS (as used by Fedora
> 17+)? See:
> * http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
> *  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
>
> If so, is there a wiki page (or similar) anywhere which discusses your
> conclusions?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Simon

We (still (claim to)) support people who mount /usr as a separate
filesystem - perhaps as an nfs mount shared across multiple
machines.  Not a common configuration, and I think nobody is
actively testing it, but not something we have any desire to
invalidate in the main (sysvinit) books.

For building in a single largeish fileysystem, there is minimal
extra work in putting things into /lib or /bin, /sbin so the
unified-usr approach does not appear to offer any significant
benefits.

ĸen
--
This one goes up to eleven: but only on a clear day, with the wind in
the right direction.