Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Building LFS for the first time is hard. Many people have trouble.
> And multilib is harder still (or perhaps just "more tedious", but
> "harder" is probably a better starting assumption).

I wouldn't say harder but tedious definitely. There aren't a lot of
instructions out there, either. The stuff I found says things like, enable
multilib repository in xx distribution; or edit your apt sources and install
these packages. Nothing about enabling a multilib toolchain from source. I'm
beginning to think I'll have to read C programming books to figure everything
out.

> Cross-lfs may well be using older packages than LFS - they have even
> fewer developers and builders than we do - but to suggest they are
> "a few years behind" is an overstatement.

Well it's using kernel 3.14. We're at kernel 4.7.2. I am not sure about the
security risks of running such old stuff. The copyright date is 2014. That's
what I meant by a few years behind.

> My suggestion to Rob is that he should build LFS, plus whichever
> parts of BLFS are useful to him.

This is my third build of LFS/BLFS. The first two times, I built for i686. This
time, I wanted to build for x86_64, but still be able to run a couple of i686
binaries and libes on there. Here is where I ran into problems, and which is
what prompted my questions.
I eventually gave up trying to figure out the multilib/arch stuff, and
yesterday I just built LFS 7.10 on an i686 machine. As I said earlier, I think
I'll have to find a good C reference and try to figure everything out. The
problem I've found with that is a lot of C books figure you already have
everything installed already--all your toolchains and stuff. So they don't talk
about it.