I've just completed LFS on my laptop, a Samsung machine with Vaio electronics.
The video card is a Vaio Chrome 9.

I already knew that this card has compatibility issues. I had problems after
installing NuTyX, because the NuTyX initrd tried to set up a framebuffer
console which the card objected to. It went black, then cycled slowly through
the other available solid colours (white, red, green...) until I rebooted.
Thierry Nutt advised me to blacklist the fb module and rebuild the kernel so as
to bypass the initrd, and this solved the problem.

I didn't expect the same kind of trouble with lfs, but I got identical symptoms
during the startup process. The kernel booted successfully and the init scripts
started to run; then while the udev script was running, everything went black.
I checked the logs afterwards and they showed that the initialisation had in
fact run to completion. It was only the video output that had failed.

I edited some additional echo messages into the script and established that it
was the "udevadm settle" command that caused the video problem. And when I
blacklisted the fb module, the problem disappeared.

What is it about this command that affects my video card?

--

H Russman