On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 17:31:36 +0000
Hazel Russman <hazeldeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just completed LFS on my laptop, a Samsung machine with Vaio
> electronics. The video card is a Vaio Chrome 9.
>
> I already knew that this card has compatibility issues. I had
> problems after installing NuTyX, because the NuTyX initrd tried to
> set up a framebuffer console which the card objected to. It went
> black, then cycled slowly through the other available solid colours
> (white, red, green...) until I rebooted. Thierry Nutt advised me to
> blacklist the fb module and rebuild the kernel so as to bypass the
> initrd, and this solved the problem.
>
> I didn't expect the same kind of trouble with lfs, but I got
> identical symptoms during the startup process. The kernel booted
> successfully and the init scripts started to run; then while the udev
> script was running, everything went black. I checked the logs
> afterwards and they showed that the initialisation had in fact run to
> completion. It was only the video output that had failed.
>
> I edited some additional echo messages into the script and
> established that it was the "udevadm settle" command that caused the
> video problem. And when I blacklisted the fb module, the problem
> disappeared.
>
> What is it about this command that affects my video card?

I'm replying to my own post just to tidy things up. It turns out that
udevadm settle was a complete red herring. This command takes a long
time to execute, so there's rather a high chance of something else
happening coincidentally at the same time. The real cause of the
problem was the kernel loading the viafb module followed by fbcon. It's
fbcon that crashes the screen. If it is blacklisted, the boot
completes normally.

Actually it always completes normally according to the logs. It's just
that you can't see it doing so with the screen misbehaving. In any
case, the problem is purely with the Via Chrome graphics card and
nothing to do with LFS.

--

H Russman