Hallo,

>> I wonder if that explains the problems I am having with recent
>> kernels. I am running on an old machine without PCID (I just
>> checked) and I cannot boot anything later than the end of series
>> 4.13. The panic occurs in the acpi driver

I have some old machines which I reuse as DNS, NAS, Squid etc., with
Pentium 4 and Core2 CPUs.
I rebuilt LFS-svn-20180128 with success on the Pentium 4 machine and
I'll build the kernels with gcc 7.3 on this machine now. The kernels
boot fine on the newer Core2 CPUs.

What type of CPU is giving you grief? Can you compile the new kernel
with "make oldconfig" to query your exact current kernel settings (if
the running kernel was compiled to support this)?

Tschau...Thomas
--
"Do you wanna be a legend or a passing footprint on the sands of time?"