On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 14:25:48 +0800
Xi Ruoyao <r...@stu.xidian.edu.cn> wrote:

> efibootmgr uses the library from efivar for /sys/firmware/efi/efivars.
> I searched "efivarfs" in the Github repo and found the commit to add
> efivarfs support:
> https://github.com/rhboot/efivar/commit/5b175a55d53c5d0f44e3636802fc7dc3fe7549a6

Thanks Xi! Yeah, that ability was added already in mid-2013. And so
efibootmgr will auto select between efivarfs and the sysfs interface
depending on what is available.

So, any post-2013 efibootmgr will be able to use either interface.

From
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/efivarfs.txt.

"The efivarfs filesystem was created to address the shortcomings of
 using entries in sysfs to maintain EFI variables. The old sysfs EFI
 variables code only supported variables of up to 1024 bytes. This
 limitation existed in version 0.99 of the EFI specification, but was
 removed before any full releases. Since variables can now be larger
 than a single page, sysfs isn't the best interface for this.
"

So, the EFI spec itself changed and that is why we have the new interface.

  Mike