On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 4:25 AM, Richard Melville <6tric...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 July 2018 at 23:35, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/01/2018 02:53 PM, Pierre Labastie wrote:
>>>

>>> It shows up for me too, even after doing "source .bash_profile". I think
>>> debian sets this in /etc/bash.bashrc, which is executed at startup,
>>> according
>>> to "man bash".
>>

>> There is no mention of /etc/bash.bashrc in the bash man pages, only
>> ~/.bashrc.
>>
> From the bash man pages:-
>
> " When an interactive shell that is not a login shell  is  started,  bash
>        reads  and  executes  commands  from /etc/bash.bashrc and ~/.bashrc,
> if
>        these files exist.  This may be inhibited by using the  --norc
> option.
>        The  --rcfile  file option will force bash to read and execute
> commands
>        from file instead of /etc/bash.bashrc and ~/.bashrc."

That must be a customized man page, probably by a distro.  Mine
reads:

When an interactive shell that is not a login shell  is  started,  bash
reads  and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists.  This
may be inhibited by using the --norc option.  The --rcfile file  option
will  force  bash  to  read  and  execute commands from file instead of
~/.bashrc.

The point is that *bash* does not read /etc/bash.bashrc by default as
we use it in LFS.  My copy of Debian does read it as an include
in /etc/profile.

  -- Bruce