On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 09:23:52AM +0000, Vaughan Butler wrote:
> On 26/11/2019 00:56, Bran Stringer wrote:
> > Does anyone have a recommendation for a distro they know has worked for
> > the latest stable as a host? I just fresh installed CentOS Linux release
> > 7.7.1908 (Core) and immediately ran into trouble with gcc pass1. I
> > successfully built an LFS host February of this year using Fedora 28 I
> > think it was as a host.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > - Bran
> >
> Hi Bran
>
> Have always been able to build LFS using Linux Mint (Cinnamon for
> preference). More recently I've installed an up to date version of LFS (8.3)
> on another machine, and built LFS 8.4 on a partition with that as host,
> without any problems at all.
>
> Vaughan

The lastest stable version is 9.0, published 2019-09-01.

Gentoo and Arch work with 9.0, as did SystemRescueCd on a USB stick.

The host system requirements are listed here:
http://linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter02/hostreqs.html

Read that page and follow the instructions, using the version-check.sh to see
if your host system is compatible. If it does past the tests, and you still
have problems, post to the lfs-support ML.

Bruce
--
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof
against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting