On 12/30/19, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/30/19 4:20 PM, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
>> In section "3.1 Introduction" checking checksums shows an error for line
>> 61: python-3.8.1-docs...
>
> OK, it's been fixed.  Thanks.

Hi, All! *waving*

tl;dr :: Mine FINALLY passed, too. AND... there appear to be 3
potential date changes on that same file name since yesterday early
afternoon. The last change was in the last couple hours. New md5sum
values may possibly be arising along with.....

The very long version...........

Been offline AGAIN for another 10 days. Now that I'm back AGAIN, LFS
was calling out.. AGAIN. I have tried to come at this from every angle
I thought I might be missing. Up until a few seconds ago, mine was
still not passing, either.

*One* file finally did pass a run through md5sum just now. It was my
original file from yesterday, and it passed with the "a1" version
taken from r11715 and r11716. Well, that and I've relearned about
running md5sum on my end, too. That also THANKFULLY presented the now
successfully matching "a1".

Decided to write because I just had a half-baked ah-ha moment,
kinda-sorta. I made the executive decision to keep the failed files
until I was sure everything was copacetic. Number One, I got a tiny
size difference for "ls -ld":

6585651 Dec 29 22:37 python-3.8.1-docs-html-md5sumFAIL1.tar.bz2
6585453 Dec 30 22:35 python-3.8.1-docs-html-md5sumFAIL2.tar.bz2
6585453 Dec 30 22:35 python-3.8.1-docs-html.tar.bz2

After looking at those about 10 times today. I also just noticed those
timestamps. Those last two were done today, the 31st so there's MY
sign that there might be something afoot. It FEELS LIKE we might be
chasing a tiny bit of a moving target here... kind of like some number
of us have learned on the fly regarding
lfs-bootscripts-20191031.tar.xz's propensity for change. LOL!

The two December 30th files are still failing md5sum checks.  Running
md5sum on them gets this for both *for me*:

50814290446a9f90965c54de90a187bb

Also just now got the *bright idea* to extract those three archives...
and run diff on them. It went nuts. I've done that with other
directories with all kinds of changes and not had it go wide open like
that. Top of the query did note those same date differences as part of
the files' changed information.

Yes, I do understand that it's apples and oranges to try and compare
that outcome to anything I might generate in personal computing. :)

In pursuing this, I'm getting 404 (Gone to Atlanta) for those URL
changes in r11715 and r11716. I'll try that again later to figure out
what I'm missing there. I'm ready to rock-and-roll (!) now that the
md5sums all match!

Am mentioning the 404 Page Not Found because the file that's NOT
marked "FAIL", that still bears its original name came from backing up
the parent directory tree on one of those 404'ed URLs until it hit a
live repository.

That file is one of the two that's bearing the "bb" md5sum *for me*
right now after it was gathered from following  r11715 and r11716.
That minor detail feels worth noting because it wasn't gathered by
simply repeatedly following the same URL from wget-list instead....

Which NEXT just caused me to think that my files came from two
different locations. Maybe if there's (presumably) manual labor in
updating all of that, some of us maybe got caught in a nanosecond
update differential of some kind:

* From LFS' wget-list
   https://www.python.org/ftp/python/doc/3.8.1/python-3.8.1-docs-html.tar.bz2

* From backing up Python's 404'ed URL
   https://docs.python.org/3/archives/python-3.8.1-docs-html.tar.bz2

Having the thought to provide those may have just paid off. There's
now a *December 31st* timestamp on that second docs.python.org lead.
If I wasn't on dialup, I'd trooper up and download that JUST to run
md5sum again to see what happens. LOL!

And NOW... I'm throwing in the towel. I went to those pages ONE more
last time. The URL from wget-list... has a December 18 date on their
webpage... AND a size of "6527362" whereas the December 31st date
change at least still matches the "6585453" size.

That's it. I'm done. I'm over it. Mine matched!! It's time to revive
user LFS and do some compiling before the clock ticks on down to
midnight tonight. :)

Afterthought: In case it matters for any reason, these days I get my
md5sums, wget-lists, and books from:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/development/

Had a rough time finding an alternative URL for Vim but DID eventually
find one. Never did find one for Python. That's how all these various
minuscule notables started becoming apparent.

Thank you for all you all do!! *Happy New Year!!*

Cindy :)
--
* runs with ONE modem on ONE laptop. we are so KVELLING! *